Saturday, January 12, 2013

In Christ Alone

On Saturday, December 15th 2012, a dear friend of ours took his final breath and ended an unfair battle with Cancer.  James was 32 years old.  The father of 4 beautiful young children.  The husband to an amazing wife, one of my favorite people.  Why did this have to happen to them?!

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

I can barely even find the words to type this post.  Not many things leave me speechless, but this.  This just leaves me without words.  Only a lump in my throat, hurt in my heart, and tears.  Tears for Erica, losing not just her husband but her very best friend.  He was the love of her life, they met and married young, I don’t think she ever pictured a day in her future that he wouldn’t be a part of.  Tears for those babies…four of them.  Alyssa, Karley, James, and Emma who were blessed with an amazing father.  A rare thing these days.  But they had one!  And they don’t get to keep him.  Tears for James having to fight such a harsh disease, to face his destiny, and have to say goodbye.  He said goodbye to Alan during a visit the night before he passed.  Alan can’t even talk about it without tears streaming.  It just all seems so wrong. 

What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

It seems wrong, but I know it’s right.  I know from being a Christian my entire life, that this is life.  This life is just a vapor compared to the Eternity that we get to spend with Jesus.  A perfect eternity, where cancer, and tears, and heartache don’t exist.  I know that’s where James is already.  At his memorial service his Pastor told the story of James getting saved.  A story I will never forget.  It was that little glimpse of hope that everyone there needed to hear.  It was still so hard though, hard to say goodbye and accept the reality that he was really gone.

 No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

When I think of them I think of this song, In Christ Alone.  The only way James could find peace with this situation was through Christ.  Can you imagine??  I can’t!  But I know if I were faced with it, that Jesus would meet me there.  Just like He did for James.  I know that He is comforting Erica and getting her through each day, one day at a time.  I can’t imagine.  But I know He would meet any of us there, if we let Him.  What an inspiration they are to all of us!

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
Until He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand

IMG954795

To this sweet family:  We will do whatever we can to be there for you guys and help keep James’ memory alive.  We love you and are so very sorry for your loss. :(

4 comments:

Nicole said...

What a beautiful post and tribute. Erica, if you are reading please know that people who don't know you personally are praying for you and your entire family as we prayed for James in his final days. Brandy, your words were perfect - you're a blessing to everyone who knows you!

Patty B said...

I've been seeing so much about this family on FB through mutual friends and my heart breaks for Erica. I can't imagine, but just from the little bit I've seen, she sounds like an amazingly strong person. I'll keep praying for the family. Brandy you have a wonderful way of putting everything in perspective!!!

The Vathes Family said...

What a beautiful post Brandy. My heart continues to break for this family and what they must be going through :( I pray God gives them the stregnth they need to get through each day.

The Steinhauser Fam{ily} said...

Beautifully written! Left me speechless and all teary eyed!