Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Baby Can Read!

Did anyone else go out and buy the “Your Baby Can Read” series??  Let me tell you, I am a sucker for infomercials, so when me & my Mom saw this, she bought it and had it shipped to me before Ryder was even born!  I was a really early reader, so I wasn’t surprised that she was on top of getting him the tools to get started either. 

I started showing Ryder the videos when he was about 6 months old.  It’s neat because it shows you the word, and then the object, so the kids learn to associate what the actual word looks like with the object or action that the word means.  I really believe that this helped Ryder to develop a big vocabulary at such a young age.  He walked around for months with a one word name for everything he saw.

Now is the time that he is really soaking up information and is at a prime age to learn these things…but now he won’t sit in front of the TV and watch a video!  So we’ve kind of trailed off and haven’t been working with him much.  But the series also comes with books and flash cards, so whenever we have the chance we’ll go over some of them with him, and its amazing to me how he remembers the word!  I definitely wouldn’t call it “reading”, this system (in my opinion) is way more about memorization.  I can’t get him to stick around for long, but here’s a little sample of him “reading” his words:

When it’s time to actually start learning how to read, I’ll be sticking to a system like Phonics that teaches you how to sound the word out from beginning to end, not just look at it and recognize the word as a whole.  But, this works for now :)

4 comments:

The Vathes Family said...

HA I too am a sucker for infomercials so when I saw this one I said to myself I wanted to buy it for Madalynn as well! From the video you posted and the testimony's on television it looks amazing!!

The Steinhauser Family said...

Hahaha I really wanted to get that when I saw it, but never did. I love how he says Chimpanzee, too cute! :)

Diana said...

I'm definitely buying that tonight - no lie! He's such a smart boy, I tell ya!!

Mandi said...

I haven't bought that yet - but I'm so tempted! I think even the commercial works - considering Bailey knows every single word to it!! LOL
I GUESS it really DOES work!! Go Ryder!